This is THE most comprehensive guide about motor relay testing AND dynamic relay testing.
If you want to learn how to test motor relays, this is the book for you. But it is much, much more! It includes everything I’ve learned about relay testing since The Relay Testing Handbook: Principles and Practice, including step-by-step dynamic testing procedures that can be applied to any relay element with fixed-time delays. This book is a must read for anyone who wants to up their game from a button pusher to a true relay testing craftsman.
- introduced you to relay testing,
- gave you the theory behind the most commonly used protective relay elements, and
- provided step-by-step testing instructions.
Motor relay testing often frustrates relay testers because you usually can’t assign an output to be a specific pickup for your tests. Motor relays require dynamic testing for pickup and timing test results. This book will show you how to test any motor relay with any test-set through these motor topics:
- Introduction to motors
- Understanding motor connections and controls
- How to connect your test-set
- General motor testing principles
Once you understand motor relay theory, this book will show you universal, step-by-step test procedures for these elements using modern, dynamic testing techniques:
- Short Circuit/Phase Overcurrent (50P)
- Undercurrent/Load Loss/Underpower (37)
- Undervoltage/Overvoltage (27/59)
- Under/Over Frequency (81)
- Power Factor (55)/Reactive Power (VAR)
- Ground Fault Trip (50N)
- Phase Differential (87M)
- RTD Testing
- Restart Block/Backspin
- Time Between Starts/Starts per Hour
- Thermal Overload Alarm/Trip (49)
- Thermal Capacity Alarm (TCU)
- Mechanical Jam
- Acceleration Trip
- Current Unbalance Trip/Alarm (47)
- Single-Phase Trip
Take your relay testing to the next level by learning and applying these dynamic testing principles to any relay element with a fixed time delay. You won’t find another resource like this!
The Relay Testing Handbook: Simplified Motor Relay Testing can be ordered as an Adobe Acrobat PDF digital download, or as a hardcover book (that also includes the Adobe Acrobat PDF digital download for free). PDF download links will be sent via email after the order has been processed, usually the same day. See our Policies page for more details and PDF digital download license restrictions. The Relay Testing Handbook #7: End-to-End Testing and The Relay Testing Handbook: Principles and Practice are NOT included in this hardcover book. You can order the complete series here to get a discount on the hardcover book and #7 End-to-End Testing.