- A graduate of the Electrical Engineering Technology program at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT),
- A Journeyman Power System Electrician,
- A state-certified Professional Engineer.
Werstiuk has been relay testing for over 15 years across the Americas in environments ranging from nuclear power plants to commercial buildings and nearly everything in between.
Chris Werstiuk‘s Experience
- Author of The Relay Testing Handbook series, a series of relay testing books written specifically for relay testers instead of typical electrical engineering books that were written for engineers.
- Authored several articles in the NETA World Journal including:
- Back to the Basics – Current Transformer Testing – 09/01/2004
- Output Logic Testing – 11/01/2006
- An Introduction to End-to-End Testing – 11/01/2012
- Presented a number of papers at the annual InterNational Electrical Testing Association (NETA) PowerTest Conferences including:
- Understanding Protective Relay Logic for Microprocessor-Based Relays in March 2002
- Understanding and Testing Generator Protective Relays in March 2003
- How to Create and Implement Protective Relay Test Plans in March 2006
- Correctly Apply Differential Protection Using Digital Relays in 2007
- Applying Modern Test Philosophies to Modern Protective Relays in Feb 2009
- Better, Faster, and More Efficient Relay Testing in Feb 2012
- Simplified Motor Relay Testing in March 2014
- Been an instructor at the Iowa State University of Science and Technology Midwestern Protective Relay Short Course in Feb 2008 and 2009.
- Been a panelist at the InterNational Electrical Testing Association (NETA) PowerTest Conferences including:
- Transformer Maintenance Seminar: A Hands-On Approach in March 2001
- Transformer Protection in March 2006
- Protective Relay Testing in February 2010
- Presented the following papers at the 2011, 2012 and 2013 Hands-On Relay School at Washington State University:
- Testing Microprocessor Relays
- End to End Testing
- Been an instructor at the 2008-2014 Hands-On Relay School at Washington State University.
- Presented the Help!! My Customer Wants End-to-End Testing half-day seminar at the 2009 InterNational Electrical Testing Association (NETA) PowerTest Conference.
Chris Werstiuk has also led training classes for testing companies, electrical utilities, and maintenance personnel at private and military installations across North America, Africa, the Middle East, and Australia. Werstiuk is also the founder of Valence Electrical Training Services (www.RelayTraining.com), an online resource for testing technicians including textbooks, online training programs, test leads, an extensive library of useful links, and an online forum to exchange ideas and information.