Are you a new “relay tester” with an insane workload and little to no training?
Have you been testing relays for a while but wish you could walk up to any relay and know that you could test it?
Do you run automated testing plans and wished you knew what they were doing so that you can troubleshoot the problems when they inevitably fail?
You probably have been looking for relay training and found out that most protective relay training falls into three categories:
- Engineering books written for design engineers, not relay testers like you
- Classes hosted by relay manufacturers specific to their relays that were designed to help engineers program them , not to help you test them
- Test-set manufacturer, or automated test software, training focused on how to get their solution to test the relay with minimum input or understanding from you
We believe that:
- The power system is universal, and you can apply the same principles to any relay model or manufacturer
- All modern test-sets can test any modern relay
- A skilled relay tester will always test a relay more effectively and efficiently than a button pusher, while fixing problems the alternatives will never discover
All of our relay training material:
- Is written specifically for relay testers in plain language
- Is designed to be universal and can be applied to any relay or any test-set
- Includes the theory necessary to understand what is happening inside the relay, and why
- Has universal, step-by-step procedures so the relay tester knows how to apply the theory
- Uses the most efficient and effective relay testing techniques used today
Here’s what some of our former students have to say about the training they’ve received:
[thrive_testimonial name=”Jeremie L. ” company=”” image=”/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Testimonial-Dude.png”]I work for a testing company and I always wanted to get better with relays but found it difficult to learn more on site since we don’t usually have much time to play around. Our company owns Omicron and Doble test sets and was able to borrow them over the week ends. I would grab an SEL relay and follow you step by step and learned a lot that way. I practiced a lot doing manual pick up and timing test (without changing settings) to get a good foundation and now slowly getting into dynamic testing. I also purchased your Relay testing handbook and find it very useful on site, I keep the soft copy on my laptop so I can refer to it very easily. I recommend this course to anyone who wants to get better at testing relays. Looking forward to more videos from Valence. Keep up the good work[/thrive_testimonial]
[thrive_testimonial name=”John LeBlanc ” company=”” image=”/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Testimonial-Dude.png”]I was really impressed with the instructors knowledge of both the test equipment and the relays which we tested. I have been to several advanced relay training courses and this was by far the best yet. It is great that it is given by a tester, for testers. I highly recommend this course to anyone who tests relays no matter what their skill set is.[/thrive_testimonial]
[thrive_testimonial name=”Jason S. ” company=”” image=”/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Testimonial-Dude.png”]Best relay testing courses out there I know of. The instructor have extensive field experience, thorough understanding of power system theories and years of teaching experience. For someone with power system fundamentals but new to the relay testing field, the “Protective Relay Testing Fundamentals Class” would be a very good starting point. You could learn not only how to conduct a relay test but also the ins and outs behind each step/setting/parameter etc.[/thrive_testimonial]
[thrive_testimonial name=”Mike Adam ” company=”” image=”/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Testimonial-Dude.png”]Anyone needing to test relays will benefit from this course. The instructor is very knowledgeable about all relays and test sets. He teaches you how to use the equipment you will use in the real world, and any possible issues that may arise from a particular test set.[/thrive_testimonial]
[thrive_testimonial name=”Sam Harrison ” company=”” image=”/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Testimonial-Dude.png”]This course was probably hands down the best relay training course I have ever taken in my 13 years of relay testing. It is obvious the instructor knows what he talking about and is very enthusiastic about relay testing. His approach makes it easy for someone to understand what the relay elements are trying to accomplish and how to properly test that element. This class should be on every relay technician’s list as not only part of their certification but also as a refresher. Well done![/thrive_testimonial]
Valence Electrical Training Services started with a paper presented by Chris Werstiuk at a major electrical testing conference that turned into The Relay Testing Handbook series, including over 750 pages of relay training content with more to come. These were the first books written specifically for relay testers and over 6,000 copies have been purchased across the globe by organizations like:
- Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E)
- The Northern Alberta Institute of Alberta (NAIT)
- Tri-State Generation and Transmission
- Electrical Reliability Services (Emerson/ERS)
- Xcel Energy
- MidAmerican Energy
- Arizona Public Service (APS)
- Northern Michigan University
- Kansas City Power & Light
- Tri-County Electrical Cooperative
- Snohomish County PUD
- Northwest Iowa Community College
- POWER Testing and Energization, Inc.
We want to provide cost-effective, real-world training can’t be found anywhere else and now offer some of the following training services:
Our online courses are self-paced, affordable, and can be applied to any modern test-set and relay. Our online training courses are designed to:
- Allow you to choose the topics most important to you
- Attend classes at a location and time convenient for you and your schedule
- Focus on the skills you need to become a better relay tester
A series of nine volumes that cover the most common of protection elements and testing approaches.
- Electrical Fundamentals
- Relay Testing Fundamentals
- Digital Logic
- Step-by-step instructions for testing 50/51/67/59/27/81/87/21 protection
For a comprehensive collection of eight volumes, The Relay Testing Handbook: Principles and Practice is a practical resource that will give Relay Technicians the tools you need to test almost any type of protective relay, no matter who the manufacturer is.
Topics in The Relay Testing Handbook: Principles and Practice include:
- Basic electrical fundamentals
- Relay testing equipment options and how to use them
- Various types of protective elements
- Relay testing approaches and how to select the best ones
- Test plans with real-world applications
- Examples from multiple manufacturers and test-set models
We have combined all of our training experience to create a modern curriculum for today’s relays and test equipment. Our class sizes, topics, and durations have been carefully planned to make sure our trainees actually retain the information they obtain in the class through a combination of theory and hands-on training.
All of our classes:
- Can be universally applied to any relay or test-set
- Are only three-days long to reduce information overload and help the student retain the information
- Use modern relays and techniques that can be applied to any modern test set from any manufacturer
- Demonstrate multiple techniques to test relays
Have one of our instructors come to you.
Our training and handbooks can be applied to all of today’s relays and test equipment in easy to understand language with step-by-step instructions. Contact us today for more information on our training solutions.
We are constantly seeking new ideas, building alliances and strategic partnerships, and developing new content as electrical systems continue to evolve.
Is there a topic you find particularly challenging? Have you faced an electrical problem that wasn’t covered in our training resources? Do you need resources to provide training to a larger group? We want to hear about it.
Contact us at:
Don’t forget to subscribe to our mailing list so you can get updates about new product releases and valuable industry information.